People have asked me for a version of the “real kind” of chocolate chip cookies. After many trials, I created these cookies, which are tasty like the more traditional “Toll House”, but with significantly less sweetener. They are a good ‘ole “stand-by” for holidays and parties.
3 Tbsp ground flax seed (ground in coffee grinder) plus ⅜ cup warm filtered water
1 tsp ground chia seeds (ground in coffee grinder) plus ⅛ cup warm filtered water
½ cup organic unrefined walnut or sunflower oil
2 tsp alcohol-free vanilla flavoring
¾ cup maple or coconut sugar crystals (ground in coffee grinder)
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup millet flour
¼ cup gluten-free oat flour
½ Tbsp arrowroot flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea or Himalayan salt
¾ Tbsp agar flakes plus ⅜ cup of filtered water
1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
¾ –1 cup fruit-sweetened, allergen- and dairy-free chocolate chips or vegan carob chips (These chips may contain cane sugar.)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease two cookie sheets with unrefined, virgin coconut oil.
2. Combine the flax-water mixture and set aside. Combine the chia-water mixture and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the oil and vanilla. Add the flax/water mixture and the chia/water mixture to these wet ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, combine ground maple sugar crystals, flours, arrowroot, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
5. Slowly add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture until fully folded in, creating a dough-like consistency.
6. In a small saucepan, combine the agar flakes with ⅜ cup filtered water. Over low-medium heat, allow the agar flakes to dissolve, stirring occasionally. It should take about 8-12 minutes for the mixture to reach a pourable, syrupy consistency.
7. Add 1 tsp baking powder to the agar flake/water mixture. Stir. This mixture will foam and expand, so make sure your kids are watching! After about one minute, use a spoon to add the warm, foamy mixture to the dough (In Step 5). Combine well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
8. Using a tablespoon, drop cookies onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet. (This dough rises a little but does not spread outward, so more cookies can fit on each cookie sheet.)
9. Bake for approximately 10-13 minutes, until soft and golden or slightly browned. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheets before removing with a spatula. If you like a firmer cookie (as opposed to chewy and gooey), bake for several more minutes.
Makes: 30 cookies
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes
Serving Size: 2 cookies
Corn-Free* | Nut and Seed-Free | Nut or Seed-Free | Soy-Free
* Check labels
Amount per cookie serving: Calories 210; Calories from Fat 110; Total Fat 13g; Saturated Fat 3g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 100mg; Total Carbohydrate 23g; Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 9g; Protein 3g; Calcium 2% DV; Iron 4% DV. Recipe analyzed with sunflower oil and 1 cup allergy-free chips containing organic cane sugar.
Wendy shares humorous stories of creating select recipes
Copyright © 2011, 2012 Wendy Vigdor-Hess
All rights reserved. Reproduction or utilization of this work in any form, by any means now known or hereinafter invented, including, but not limited to, xerography, photocopying and recording, and in any known storage and retrieval system, is forbidden without permission from the copyright holder.